“Alex Gives Up”
|Season 4, Episode 2|
November 27, 2010
Todd J. Greenwald
Alex quits her wizard training after she decides there will never be enough time to regain her status and compete for the title of family wizard. However, she is shocked to learn that, as a mortal, she will no longer be able to date Mason. Meanwhile, after meeting with the Wizard Family Competition Commissioner, Justin decides to tutor delinquent wizards and do whatever it takes to get himself back in the running for the wizard competition. Meanwhile, Max becomes popular because he will become a family wizard so a family of Cucuys (filthy rich Latino monsters) invites them to a yacht party on the Hudson River.
Lisa Cucuy is attracted to Max, and they start dating. Alex invites Chancellor Tootietootie to the yacht so she could make him overturn the rule outlawing relationships between mortals and werewolves. Everything goes wrong when Lisa begins to like Mason and tries to steal him, so Alex, jealous of Lisa, teases Mason so he'll become a werewolf. He does, scaring the family of Cucuys, and the Cucuys scare Theresa, causing her to push them out into the sea. Jerry then jumps to save them and Theresa runs away. Max, who is clueless, jumps thinking they are all going to swim. Chancellor Tootietootie is left soaking wet and Lisa finally jumps out into the water. After that, Chancellor Tootietootie declares that the rule is not overturned after what he saw and flashes away. Alex and Mason break up and agree on becoming friends.
- Selena Gomez as Alex Russo
- David Henrie as Justin Russo
- Jake T. Austin as Max Russo
- Jennifer Stone as Harper Finkle
- Maria Canals Barrera as Theresa Russo
- David DeLuise as Jerry Russo
- Frank Pacheco as Felix
- David Barrera as Carlos Cucuy
- Roxanna as Brusso as Julie Cucuy
- Samantha Boscarino as Lisa Cucuy
- Kari Wahlgren as Helen
- Harper writing a book about Alex's wizard life is a callback to her future self, H.J. Darling, who became famous writing stories about the Russo's wizarding adventures back in "Future Harper".
- Chancellor Tootietootie flashes into the Russo family home spontaneously, causing Alex to tell Harper to hide while chiding him for flashing in when he was not aware whether there might be a mortal around. Had Harper not been aware, to begin with, Tootietootie would have exposed wizardry to her.
- Coincidentally, when Alex was told she can't see Mason because she's now "mortal", it is the same thing Jerry went through with Theresa.
- At the end of the episode, Chancellor Rudy Tootietootie says he is wearing an Admiral's uniform but the stripes are clearly those of a Captain.